There’s something so nice about a brand new handbag. That fresh leather smell, that perfectly smooth material and that beautiful clean interior waiting to be used. The way I feel about handbags is a bit like how some people feel about buying a new car. A quality bag is an investment, something you will get a lot of use out of and something you will enjoy using all the time. I recently came across the brand Smith and Canova and I’m so pleased that I did! They are a UK based company that specialise in leather handbags and accessories for both men and women. So as you can imagine, they instantly caught my attention.
Style and quality
The Smith and Canova family have been in the leather handbag industry for over 100 years so they know a thing or two when it comes to quality. Whenever I look for a new bag I always look for a few key features and these are my top tips of things to look out for:
- Hardware – try to avoid plastic coated buckles or rivets as these will not be very long lasting and will start to cheapen the look of your handbag. Instead, look for styles that have solid metal hardware. If these are engraved with the brand name this is even better.
- Zips – similar to hardware, I always like to ensure my handbag has a good quality zip. A sturdy zip will lengthen the lifespan of your handbag.
- Logos – choose bags that have an embossed foil logo as these will not scratch off easily.
- Stitching – pay attention to the stitching. Avoid bags with loose threads or messy, unfinished stitches. One of the reasons that Hermes Birkin bags in particular are so expensive is because they are handcrafted using a single thread. The slightest snag in the thread and they re-start the production of the whole bag.
- Material – this is probably the most important factor when buying a new bag. You will always be able to tell real leather by the smell and the feel of it. I just love buttery soft leathers that get better with age.
- Dust bag – finally, it is important to protect your handbag when it’s not being used and a dust bag is for this very purpose. If your handbag comes with one of these, then you know you have a quality item.
Smith and Canova very kindly sent me the Josephine satchel from their AW18 collection to try and as soon as I saw this handbag I fell in love! You can instantly feel the craftsmanship and quality of this piece. The handbag arrived in a stunning box with an embossed rose gold logo which was lined with tissue paper. Such a sophisticated little detail that makes you instantly feel special! The bag itself was stored inside its own little dust bag which will be a great way to keep it safe and in the best possible condition.
This style has a long handle so you can wear this across your body as well as on the shoulder. The strap is adjustable too which I love as it means you can have it the perfect length just for you. The front is a flap over style which makes it so much easier to get inside quickly. This is perfect for someone like me that is always on the go and travelling around a lot. The flap over is secured by magnetic poppers and inside there are two main compartments. I have been using these for larger items such as my purse and a mini make up bag.
There are also 2 slip pockets and an inner zip compartment. I have been using these for smaller items such as my travel card and keys which I want to keep safely secured.
For a satchel this is a really nice size. It is not too large that it overshadows your outfit but it is roomy enough to hold all of your bits and bobs. This particular style is available in a pretty baby pink colour also. However, this grey version goes with so many outfits and is a lot easier to style with all of the Autumn trends that are out there at the moment. You can read about the key trends for the season in my recent blog post HERE.
Smith and Canova have some really gorgeous designs so check out their website HERE
Overall I was so impressed with the AW18 collection and the variety of styles available. I have my eye on a pretty pink backpack and a bright yellow purse to add to my collection next!
What is your favourite Smith & Canova style? Leave me a comment below!